Not signed in (Sign In)
whd-forums-move-to-thwack

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Member
    • CommentAuthorPhillip
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012

I don't think any one noticed but this month, WebHelpDesk was purchased by SolarWinds, a fairly large IT Software Management Company. Going through the new site and downloads, it looks like all the Mac and Linux versions have now been removed from the downloads / updates section.

Will the future of WebHelpDesk only be Windows OS from now on?

2. Member
    • CommentAuthorchrisrosa

Yes...good question.

3. Member
    • CommentAuthorTheo Jager

Second that question. And more: since WHD is WebObjects based, and developments for Windows are discontinued, what about that future?

• CommentAuthorscottlnrd
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2012

Yeah, what just happened? It was like an overnight change. The Windows version is now up to 11.0.7 as well. A little reassurance from WHD would be welcome at this point. Or is anyone home? :/

5. Member
    • CommentAuthorchrisrosa

I opened a support ticket last night and just heard back. Apparently they're "moving some of the servers", and working to get the links back.

6. Member
    • CommentAuthorPhillip

Thanks chrisrosa for that. Whenever I move to a new company, I try to get WHD installed to do the service management for that company. Having a solution that is available on all platforms is a great selling point. So far converted 2 companies, still working on the third.

7. Administrator
    • CommentAuthorbshopp
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2012

Afternoon,
    I am a Product Manager at SolarWinds and can give you more insight here. If you were a customer you should have received a welcome email announcing the acquisition.

For new evaluations and customers, while we evaluate our strategy around platform support going forward, we are only providing the Windows bits on the download page. If you need access to previous bits from other platforms, please contact support@webhelpdesk.com and they can provide them to you. For existing customers, we will continue to support you on the platform you are currently running on, so no need panic.

Any question, please let me know and I will be happy to discuss with you via phone or email.

8. Member

Hello fellow WHD admins, and I hope, representation from Solarwinds,
    Right now, I'm not happy, as I consider the current situation not good at all. I'll be contacting Solarwinds directly through their Contact Us and requesting login to their Customer Portal to formally establish my customer status there. I'll then request more information about WHD futures, roadmap, support, maintenance renewal, etc., if there is no response to this posting.
    My current angst is from finding that the only download advertised by the current webhelpdesk is for Win, no other flavours are visible (we are an OSX installation), that win version is v11.0.7, but the Release Notes only run up to v11.0.5, however, direct access to the downloads URLs for win and osx show versions 11.0.5, 11.0.6, AND, 11.1.0, 11.1.0.1, and 11.1.0.2, but do not list anything as v11.0.7!
    If we were a win install site, I'd be extremely cautious about installing the current readily available version, as there is no way of knowing what it really delivers.
    Where is the advice and general welcome courtesy message to existing WHD customers from Solarwinds about this change and plans for the future?
    This change has obviously been in train for weeks. It is well past the time for disclosure, and common courtesy to the established customer base with full transparency.
    I'd be pleased if a genuine response could start with some meaningful info posted here.
    Cheers, Peter B.

PS: The post above from bshopp appeared while I was writing this comment and I was not aware of that recent posting at time of writing.

9. Member

Thanks bshopp.
    My first question is, how do I formally establish customer status with SolarWinds and what are the recommended communication channels I should take up? Can SolarWinds provide Customer Portal logins for WHD customers? If not, what is the communication channel to be used going forward?
    Cheers, Peter B.

10. Member
    • CommentAuthorNEricson

So, I had installed WHD at a school district in massachusetts, probably ten years ago. I have been evangelising the package to my current employers and they gave me permission to to ahead and install the full feature demo to provide side by side comparison. I am dismayed to see there is no option to download the installers for Mac at this time. I am eager to hear some news on plans for future platform support. We have two Solarwinds products installed at this time, Orion and Storage Manager. Storage Manager used to be Profiler before they were bought out by Solarwinds. I hope Solarwinds understands that WHD is a premier piece of Mac enterprise software, and quickly moves to put the platform back at the top of their priority list.
    Since I do not have a current support contract, I cannot email support@webhelpdesk.com to ask for Lion compatible installers. My window to provide the demo to my group is very small, do we know if the downloads for Mac will be made available in the near future?

11. Member

<blockquote><cite>Posted By: NEricson</cite><p>So, I had installed WHD at a school district in massachusetts, probably ten years ago. I have been evangelising the package to my current employers and they gave me permission to to ahead and install the full feature demo to provide side by side comparison. I am dismayed to see there is no option to download the installers for Mac at this time. I am eager to hear some news on plans for future platform support. We have two Solarwinds products installed at this time, Orion and Storage Manager. Storage Manager used to be Profiler before they were bought out by Solarwinds. I hope Solarwinds understands that WHD is a premier piece of Mac enterprise software, and quickly moves to put the platform back at the top of their priority list.
    Since I do not have a current support contract, I cannot email support@webhelpdesk.com to ask for Lion compatible installers. My window to provide the demo to my group is very small, do we know if the downloads for Mac will be made available in the near future?</p> </blockquote>

+1 Thanks NEricson

Totally agree - same circumstances, situation, environment, and thoughts here - only difference is my history with WHD on OSX only spans about 5 years.

Cheers, Peter B.

12. Member

<blockquote><cite>Posted By: NEricson</cite><p>
    Since I do not have a current support contract, I cannot email support@webhelpdesk.com to ask for Lion compatible installers. My window to provide the demo to my group is very small, do we know if the downloads for Mac will be made available in the near future?</p> </blockquote>

Hi NEricson,
    I may be able to assist re advice on Lion and Mountain Lion compatibility and happy for you to DM me via peterbits <at> me [dot] com if you wish to.
    Cheers, Peter B.

13. Member
    • CommentAuthorPhillip
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2012 edited

I'm in the same circumstance as NEricson. I do not currently have a current support contract but have installed it previously in 2 companies and trying to sell it to third. I always download the OSX and RPM versions to do beta testing especially with the Japanese language file I've spent many years perfecting in getting the correct translation.

Both OSX and more so RPM packages are very important these days, especially with a lot of places moving to cloud solutions which predominately are linux based where I am based.

Digging around, it seems that you can still get the OSX and RPM versions from the following links:

<a href="http://downloads.webhelpdesk.com/osx/">http://downloads.webhelpdesk.com/osx/</a>
    <a href="http://downloads.webhelpdesk.com/rpm/">http://downloads.webhelpdesk.com/rpm/</a>

You will also notice that there is a WebHelpDesk-11.1.0.2 Beta as well. Not sure on what differences are in this yet.

14. Administrator
    • CommentAuthorbshopp

<blockquote><cite>Posted By: Peter Barlow</cite><p>Thanks bshopp.
    My first question is, how do I formally establish customer status with SolarWinds and what are the recommended communication channels I should take up? Can SolarWinds provide Customer Portal logins for WHD customers? If not, what is the communication channel to be used going forward?
    Cheers, Peter B.</p> </blockquote>

You can still email support@webhelpdesk.com for support issues or you can also email sales@solarwinds.com for sales stuff. If you did not get the welcome email, I cannot tel you why. We announced the acquisition Wednesday and we sent the welcome to the SolarWinds family to the email distribution list we were given. If you would like a copy of that, I can send to you offline, just let me know.

Basically in a nuttshell it said welcome and expect to hear more from us in the coming weeks on the transition as we integration Web Help Desk into our system. If you can't find what you need you can post here as I am watching the forums as well.

I also plan on sending out a customer survey to all customers next week asking them how they use the product, what enhancements they would like to see etc. We have some ideas of our own, but we pride ourselves in being community driven company in terms of product, so we want to hear what you want from the product. In no mean is it being abandoned in any way, we plan to continue to develop and make a great product hopefully better.

I will email you offline about the MAC installers tomorrow.

15. Administrator
    • CommentAuthorbshopp

One more thing, the 11.0.7 release notes will be posted to the site soon and I will post them on the forum here tomorrow as well.

16. Member
    • CommentAuthorPhillip

<blockquote>I also plan on sending out a customer survey to all customers next week asking them how they use the product, what enhancements they would like to see etc. We have some ideas of our own, but we pride ourselves in being community driven company in terms of product, so we want to hear what you want from the product.</blockquote>

That's great news. Can the people who are not currently under support contract who have many years of installing and support WHD also get this email so we can add to it?

I think going through the forum will give you a good idea of what people are wanting and have been asking for. I have previously made a list of all the top issues people have requested and also a list where additions would be beneficial in a corporate environment (all my installs and support were in Finance replacing other ITSM software with WHD).

17. Member
    • CommentAuthorNEricson
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2012 edited

Thanks Phillip!

Thanks bshopp for the update, glad to see the users and fans of the product are being listened to. Would love to see that survey posted here on the forums too! I'm going to say it just because we're all IT pros here, Mac = Macintosh; MAC = Media Access Control. :P

18. Member
    • CommentAuthorNEricson

seriously though, thank you for the updates.

We have been a paying customer since 2003 and did not receive an email about the change/sale. Please send me the email to the email account I used to create this forum account which is the same as my accounts payable one the product is registered under.

We really like Web Help Desk and hope it continues in the same direction, but at this point we are nothing but nervous. Very nervous.

20. Member
    • CommentAuthorTheo Jager
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2012 edited

We didn't receive any e-mail as well.

Since our email addresses are used in the previous support.webhelpdesk.com in our user profiles I'm at least concerned about the fact that all paying WHD customers in this thread didn't receive the welcome mail.
    How serious was SolarWinds' approach in reaching really every client/prospect/lead of WHD?

Personally I'll be more convinced of their good intentions if we all still get their e-mail(s) automatically and get a formal statement about the continuity of our chosen platform, without having to re-register ourselves! This would largely increase my confidence in SolarWinds as "a community driven" company.

21. Member
    • CommentAuthormathias
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2012

we made a purchase and next day there was a solarwinds button on the website. i am waiting for my license key since then...

• CommentAuthorBarthCo

Add us to the list of those who did not receive an email. As a long-time WHD customer at two companies, currently running WHD on a Debian server, I'm extremely disappointed by all of this.

23. Administrator
    • CommentAuthorbshopp

As promised, the release notes for 11.0.7

Besides the acquisition related stuff like new EULA, trademark changes, here are the fixes in this release.

- Fixed ticket direct actions to check the department group permission before allowing access to the ticket
    -Fixed ticket detail page to close the detail editor if a ticket is manually typed into the URL and the current user doesn't have permission to see it. There was a security hole where techs could get access to tickets by first visiting one that they have permission to see and then manually changing the URL.
    - Fixed some inaccuracies in the logged-in indicators at Setup > Techs > Techs. It was reporting anyone with a session as being logged in, even if they were a concurrent tech that was blocked from logging in.
    - Made it so concurrent techs are only allowed one session at a time (they cannot log in with multiple browsers simultaneously anymore).
    - Fixed the survey viewer URL to require authentication if the survey has already been filled out.
    - Changed the "Status" filter in the My/Group Tickets pages to only include status types that are relevant to those pages (i.e. it excludes statuses that have the "Include in My/Group Tickets Filter" setting turned off).

24. Administrator
    • CommentAuthorbshopp

For those wanting the acquisition welcome email, I will work on getting those your email addresses today associated with your forum accounts.

25. Member
    • CommentAuthorTyphoon87

Was the version of Java that is bundled with the isntaller changed in 11.0.7?

26. Administrator
    • CommentAuthorbshopp

I don't believe so, but I am double checking.

27. Member
    • CommentAuthorTyphoon87

I should have noted above on my server an X64 box I am showing 1.6.0_12 amd64 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)

I am failry certain that this was a higher version previously?

28. Administrator
    • CommentAuthorbshopp

Posted By: mathias

we made a purchase and next day there was a solarwinds button on the website. i am waiting for my license key since then...

Send me your info and I will check into. As we move from their systems to our systems from an order entry/tracking stand point, there may be a bit of a delay. We do our best to make the transition as smooth as possible, but there are bound to be a couple bumps here and there, please be patient and if you need anything I can help you.

29. Administrator
    • CommentAuthorbshopp

Posted By: Typhoon87

d have noted above on my server an X64 box I am showing 1.6.0_12 amd64 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)

I am failry certain that this was a higher version previously?

I validated with Support, we did not change the version.

30. Member
    • CommentAuthorNEricson

Consider me disappointed. Here's hoping this isn't the final word.

Hi Neil,

We continue to support MAC for existing customers but moving forward this is strictly Windows based.

Regards,

JOE

Joe Mathews

Account Executive-West | SolarWinds – Unexpected Simplicity

31. Administrator
    • CommentAuthorbshopp

Posted By: NEricson

Consider me disappointed. Here's hoping this isn't the final word.

This is a sales guy, I am the Product Manager. For new evaluations and customers we are only offering Windows while we determine our long term strategy on OS and DB support. Once we have that finalized, we will communicate. What he is correct on is if you are an existing customer on a non-Windows platform, we will support you.

• CommentAuthorBarthCo

<blockquote><cite>Posted By: NEricson</cite> <p>We continue to support MAC for existing customers but moving forward this is strictly Windows based.</blockquote>

That's absolutely terrible, they're burying one of the best parts about WHD. My expectations for SolarWinds improving, or even maintaining, the current quality of this product are low at the moment.

33. Member
    • CommentAuthorNEricson

Thanks again for your feedback bshopp. I understand that acquisitions are hectic times, someone might want to communicate to sales to let them know what language they want to use in their communication.

34. Administrator
    • CommentAuthorbshopp

Posted By: NEricson

Thanks again for your feedback bshopp. I understand that acquisitions are hectic times, someone might want to communicate to sales to let them know what language they want to use in their communication.

Already working on it :) and thank you for being patient and understanding. I know this can be a confusing time with many questions and uncertainty. I assure you we are working through them as quickly as we possibly can. For simplicity sake while we make the transitions with the acquisition, we chose to only offer Windows for evaluation and purchase for new customers. As we iron out the longer term strategy based on survey results, internal company strategy and customer feedback, once we make a final decision on OS and DB support, we will communicate those decisions. I can assure you our goal is not to alienate the existing Web Help Desk customers, it is exactly the opposite, but until we have this plan worked out please bear with us.

35. Administrator
    • CommentAuthorbshopp

For those of you that never received the notification email and asked for it here, I believe I captured it to everyone and sent it. If you did not get it and would like it, let me know.

36. Member
    • CommentAuthorjcohen

Add me as another customer with current paid support who recieved nothing in regards to the purchase by Solarwinds.

37. Administrator
    • CommentAuthorbshopp

Posted By: jcohen

Add me as another customer with current paid support who recieved nothing in regards to the purchase by Solarwinds.

Expect email in next 5 mins with it

38. Member
    • CommentAuthorEWeeks

My take, is that the lack of email was pretty universal,

We had not heard one word, until one of the people who used to work in our office, moved to a new company, advocated and got WHD installed there (making her a hero) emailed and said 'Holy &*hp" did you know this happened??

Count me as concerned, even though this site is already windows.....Keep the diversity and innovation alive.

My personal experience with products I liked being sucked up by SolarWinds and improving (or at least staying competitive) is currently 50/50

Eric

39. Administrator
    • CommentAuthorbshopp

We emailed the list of addresses we were given from Web Help Desk. I am not sure why some folks were not in that list, I cannot answer that. I will send you the announcement email as well right now.

40. Member
    • CommentAuthormathias

<blockquote><cite>Posted By: bshopp</cite><blockquote><cite>Posted By: mathias</cite> <p>we made a purchase and next day there was a solarwinds button on the website. i am waiting for my license key since then...</p> </blockquote> <p>Send me your info and I will check into. As we move from their systems to our systems from an order entry/tracking stand point, there may be a bit of a delay. We do our best to make the transition as smooth as possible, but there are bound to be a couple bumps here and there, please be patient and if you need anything I can help you.</p> </blockquote>

okay the mail with the invoice came 2 hours ago. so far so good. does i count in to the folks who will be supported on linux since i started the 30 days trial on liunx?

41. Administrator
    • CommentAuthorbshopp

If you started the evaluation before the acquisition, then yes, email support@webhelpdesk.com to get the link to the bits.

42. Member
    • CommentAuthormathias

yep - got 9 days left in trial - its now in the hands of my purchasing department

43. Administrator
    • CommentAuthorbshopp

Posted By: mathias

yep - got 9 days left in trial - its now in the hands of my purchasing department

If you need an extension, contact your sales rep and they can get you a new key

44. Member
    • CommentAuthorRick Tyler

I am a new customer and can tell you that so far the staff at SolarWinds have been great. I did not receive the email notice rom Web Help Desk, but today when I called the Web Help Desk phone numbers, SolarWinds staff answered the phone and responded very quickly to my questions. Very impressed so far.

Also, regarding release 11.0.7, this is a fix to several bugs we found during our testing of the last release. I very much appreciate the developers continuing to work on ensuring the product is stable and secure.

We are not a Mac site, but I too hope SolarWinds continues to provide support for all OS types.

• CommentAuthorscottlnrd

I definitely chose this product because it was multi-platform. I will definitely rethink my ownership of this product if that changes. I absolutely despise running Windows based servers. They are so much more of a pain to manage and definitely more susceptible to viruses and compromises. I look forward to the surveys so I can have my vote, but thought I'd just mention my thoughts here as well.

46. Member
    • CommentAuthorldougher

Add us to the list of customers with support agreement that didn't get the Email. We are very concerned about the possible lack of new Mac or Linux releases.

47. Member

We did not get a copy of the email either. Would like a copy.

48. Member
    • CommentAuthorStretch

Please put us down as another installation not on Windows who are less than thrilled with the possibility of the future being Windows only. One of the reasons that we went with Web Help Desk was that it was platform agnostic. Right now we are very nervous. Especially with a comment like this:

"For new evaluations and customers we are only offering Windows while we determine our long term strategy on OS and DB support. Once we have that finalized, we will communicate. What he is correct on is if you are an existing customer on a non-Windows platform, we will support you."

So right now, that feels like once that long term strategy is on place, support for anything but Windows could still disappear.

While your long term strategy is being determined, will the support for Linux and OS X still be released at the same time as the Windows version?

Thank you.

49. Member
    • CommentAuthorasmoore82
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2012 edited

<blockquote><cite>Posted By: NEricson</cite><p>moving forward this is strictly Windows based.</p></blockquote>

So you have a product that's not broken and decide to make radical changes to fix it.

Congratulations, you've re-invented New Coke!

Let's decouple the product from one of it's biggest claims to fame. And while we're at it, let's pick the server platform that's not used by Google, Yahoo, or Facebook. Brilliant!
    I eagerly await the announcement that you're moving away from MySQL as well.

50. Member
    • CommentAuthorbpavlov
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2012

Count me as a customer who also didn't get the e-mail either.

I was told in a support ticket that there were changes going on with the website as data was being moved around different servers during the acquisition and that the download links would be available for other OSes. But it seems that is not the case any longer. The fact that other platforms outside Windows are not being updated right now in a visible manner is disappointing and something to be worried about as current customers. It sounds very much like you've already made up your mind about what OS platform you will be supporting going forward. How is offering Windows only simplifying things for customers when you haven't made a decision? It leaves current customers in limbo because they can't get non-Windows updates.

Why else exclude the other platforms? If you are truly discussing this, then leave things as they were and once a final decision has been made, then communicate it accordingly.

The worst part here is that we just finished getting a new yearly license too which seems it was all for naught. I will be passing this information to management for sure to evaluate whether we can even stick with such a platform going forward. For us this means we aren't getting anymore updates after 11.0.6.

Also, if you want feedback for new features, I'd recommend the forums (tons of them in the wish list section) and the ticket system which has a Feature Request section (of which I've personally have submitted plenty of new feature requests). I would be more than happy to compile a list all the features I'm looking for.

On a unrelated note, the version number link at the bottom left of the WHD forwards to http://updates.webhelpdesk.com/ which is supposed to take you to the release notes. However it is going to the home page.

Help Desk Software  |  Free Help Desk Software  |  Help Desk Software Comparison

© 2003-2013 SolarWinds. All Rights Reserved.